Page 121 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1266

Thread: Film Stats & Assorted queries

Senior Member Devoted Hubber narayanan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
    Curious... which was the first film to have scenes filmed abroad (i.e. outside India)?

Also curious - which was/were the first film(s) to have scenes filmed in Europe?

Also - any specific reason why - in the late 1990's - they started a trend of filming (especially songs) in Switzerland? I'm assuming it started to become cheaper around that time?

Just curious...
    Interesting! I can recall Ullasa Paravaigal, 47 Natkal being filmed in Europe, both are filmed around 1980-81. I remember 80s had a flurry of movies that were filmed in Singapore and Malaysia: Ninaithale Inikkum, Priya, Thai Mookambigai (first few mins), Ooru Vittu Ooru Vandhu, Enakkul Oruvan.

I'd guess the reasons would be lot of Tamil diaspora settlement which would also mean availability of local manpower and resources, ease of permissions etc. Thats why you'd still see lots of Canada, Switzerland,Malaysia being filmed.
    Paani bhujaye pyaas, baaki sab bakwaas. Clear hai ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    In complement with Narayanan's reply :

Which was the first film to have scenes filmed abroad (i.e. outside India) :
    Sivandha Mann (1969) was the first Tamil film made outside India. Then you have Ulagam Suttrum Valiban (1973). After that a series of films mentioned above by Narayanan.

which was/were the first film(s) to have scenes filmed in Europe :
    Again Sivandha Mann made in France

Any specific reason why - in the late 1990's :
    Thats a complicated question. There are many as in none to get a specific reason. The late 60s, notably early 70s, there were many European countries like France who had brought up several plans to uplift several industries in the upcoming nations. The frontiers were made accesible for the betterment of cultural interchange. The producers and the film makers saw it as a oppurtunity and add in the technology cinema-scope that permitted them exploit this technology and film processing, i.e. outdoor filming. When its out door the most exclusive locations are foriegn locals. Why : because the actors of this period really wanted to entertain their locals who really do not have any mean to explore it themselves.

Coming to the 90s : Thats the mass effect of globalisation. Manpower was shared in the name of promotion that drastically downed the production cost. Also it helped it doing various other buisness notable providing backstage artist for foreign film. Now agents were up front in strategically planning various shoots and share the same resource for a given specific time peroid. It landed up to be an advantageous + profitable venture. By opening several teritories, the entry to the countries were made more flexible permitting a whole unit to travel to the country with group visas. Plus, the tourism and the cultural departement of certain countries were favorable too.

they started a trend of filming (especially songs) in Switzerland :
    Swiss is a beautiful part, you got to visit it to experience yourself. But after a while, it did happen that a song was filmed there (thats until the Kuthu Song took its place ... LoL - but some Kuthu Song are made in Swiss).

I'm assuming it started to become cheaper around that time :
    I will not coin it as cheaper. It depends on so many factors to call it cheaper or profitable, but surely the accessability was the main reason.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Cinemarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Mappi- Neenga oru information Godown!! Narayanan too has provided some useful info... Thanks..
    " The real triumph in life is not in never getting knocked down, but in getting back up everytime it happens".

Post Thanks / Like
    mappi, thanks for Sivantha Mann. got this link via Sivantha Mann wiki: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/3638478.cms . This explains why the movies I mentioned were filmed in France, I guess even Tik Tik Tik was filmed in France (not sure!). Its not just Switzerland, there are quite a few movies that show Canada as well especially showing the horse shoe of Niagra from the Canadian side. Very few Indian movies are made in US, I can recollect only Jeans, Vettayadu Vilayadu and Vishwaroopam in Tamil (Kamal has 2 of them, no wonder they pulled his leg in Tamil Padam :P). Telugu had Padamati Sandhya Ragam made as early as 1987, this was one movie most Telugu guys mentioned when I was a student.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narayanan View Post
    Very few Indian movies are made in US, I can recollect only Jeans, Vettayadu Vilayadu and Vishwaroopam in Tamil (Kamal has 2 of them,
    much more Narayanan... Dasavatharam, Achamundu Achamundu, 180, Meiporul, Talam, etc...
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    much more Narayanan... Dasavatharam, Achamundu Achamundu, 180, Meiporul, Talam, etc...
    Oops...even forgot Vinnaithandi Varuvaya and Anandha Thandavam

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oops...even forgot Vinnaithandi Varuvaya and Anandha Thandavam
    also Vaaranam Aayiram and Sillunu Oru Kaadhal
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber raajarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    guest appearance: Sivaji, Indian
    IR / KH / Sujatha / Bala / BC Lara / Curtly Ambrose

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raajarasigan View Post
    guest appearance: Sivaji, Indian
    Indian was in Australia IIRC. Especially Telephone Manipol is Sydney I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    also Vaaranam Aayiram and Sillunu Oru Kaadhal
    Varanam Aayiram yes, but Sillunu oru Kadhal no

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber raajarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indian was in Australia IIRC. Especially Telephone Manipol is Sydney I think.

Varanam Aayiram yes, but Sillunu oru Kadhal no
    In Indian, after the climax (Flight blast), Kamal escaped and call Nedu Mudi Venu from US (I believe so).. koopidra thoorathula thAn irukken

Silunnu Oru Kaadhal - New York Nagaram urangum neram...
    IR / KH / Sujatha / Bala / BC Lara / Curtly Ambrose