• Post 2003

0 0%
Page 149 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1652

Thread: Films of Mani Ratnam

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    The climax is a messed-up communion of all forces..

Imagine a subverted version where the abandoned child passes civil services and becomes the collector, while the child the mother raised becomes a second in chief to a corrupt man. I'd not make a overblown violent purgent film about it though, I'd make it more like Secrets and Lies.. Where they kiss and make up in the end. I'd call it an adaptation, why not.
    wasnt the recent prakash jha movie more on the lines that you told (not the kid growing up to be a collector though).
    As far as the messed up climax is concerned - well at that time i felt happy for not seeing Rajini's character in a body bag - later on - i wonder thats the best that can be done with a commercial hero like Rajni in your project - so that is a maaf.. - Though I loved Rajini's raw display of vengeance on kali varadhan and co..
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that Jha film is Godfather meets Mahabharath.

I was not in supportive of that ending. It looked kinda lame to me. Especially with Rajini squealing like a wounded animal. Amrish Puri would squat Rajini, Fact.
    ...an artist without an art.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove View Post
    Yeah that Jha film is Godfather meets Mahabharath.

I was not in supportive of that ending. It looked kinda lame to me. Especially with Rajini squealing like a wounded animal. Amrish Puri would squat Rajini, Fact.
    Fast closure to a brooding drama is never a good idea..
    true Surya dead in collector's doorstep with his mom holding him - kinda "deewar / thee" ending would be a full paisa vasool for the drama it is worth..
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd extend this criticism beyond just the ending. The film is too melodramatic to effectively handle the sheer drama of the original material. Surya and Kalyani (btw, just a thought here, is Mani Ratnam referencing parAsakthi?) hug and cry their hearts out! It's all as if the separation didn't engender an irreparable loss (except the passage of some 30-odd years) which is in many ways central to the Karna-Kunti relationship.

Even early on, the way the film shows Surya and Deva becoming friends is somewhat tacky. It's not the economy I'm objecting to. Bala (who clearly had thaLapathi in mind when making some of his films if not all!) employed more or less the same sort of economy in nandhA, but the growing intimacy between the two is not portrayed with abrupt in-your-face gestures as in thaLapathi.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    தேவராஜ், சூர்யா இருவரின் சந்திப்பு - கலக்டர் அர்ஜுனோடு..

"கோர்ட் என்ன சொன்னாலும் நீங்க சொல்றதுதான் சட்டம்" "உதவி செய்ய கோர்ட் இருக்கு, சட்டம் இருக்கு", இந்த தளத்துல மணி ஒரு அர்ஜுன் கதாபாத்திரம் ஏற்று நடித்த அரவிந்சாமியின் நடிப்பின் தூரம் போல. சிலருக்கு சில தளங்கள். இதெல்லாம் ராம்கோபால் வர்மா போன்ற இயக்குனர்களுக்கு கைவந்தக் கலை. இந்தக் காட்சியில் அர்ஜுன், தேவராஜ், சூர்யா, டி.எஸ்.பி கிட்டி போன்றவர்களின் வசனங்கள் எதோ வீட்டுல அப்பா, அக்கா, அண்ணன், சித்தப்பாக்களோடு சேர்ந்து உட்கார்ந்து பேசுவது போல. சூர்யாவின் "ஜனங்க எங்க மேல வச்சிருக்கிற நம்பிக்கை" - இவர் ரவுடியா இல்லை எம்.எல்.ஏ-வா என சந்தேகமே வந்துவிடுகிறது. இந்த ஒட்டுமொத்த உரையாடலிலிருந்து நான் ரசிக்கும் ஒரே இடம் "மரியாதையில்லாம பேசுற அடி ராஸ்கல்!" "ஏய்!! தொடறா பார்க்கலாம்., தொடறா பார்க்கலாம்" (இது போன்ற ரத்தம் சூடாகும் காட்சிகள் நாயகனில் இயல்பாக அமைந்திருந்தது. அதனாலேயே இன்னமும் உட்கார்ந்து பார்க்க முடிகிறது) - அப்படியும் டி.எஸ்.பியை இப்படி திட்டிவிட்டி வந்தால் எப்படி சிறப்பாக லாடம் கட்டுவார்கள் என்பதை ராம் கோபால் வர்மா படங்கள் தெளிவாக சொல்லிவிடும். நாயகனின் சாயல் தொடரும் தளபதியில் இல்லை. மணியின் ஆளுமை என நான் கருதுவது: குடும்ப உறவுகள்-பிரச்சனைகள், காதல், துடிப்பான இளைஞர், இளைஞி, குழந்தை(கள்). எப்படியோ இருந்திருக்க வேண்டியது எப்படியோ போய்விட்டதென உணர்கிறேன் எப்போதெல்லாம் தளபதிக் காட்சிகளை பார்க்க சந்தர்ப்பம் கிடைக்கும் போது.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by equanimus View Post
    Even early on, the way the film shows Surya and Deva becoming friends is somewhat tacky. .
    This actually is the signature of most if not all Mani's films. I mean the way he builds relationships. You either buy it or don't. There is no middle ground. I think they are *artificial* by design. You either get *convinced* or don't. I for one did not find problems with it. And its not just thaLapathi - To quote a couple - Alaipayuthey Maddy/Shalini (nee azhagaa irukkEnu ninaikkalai, seriously), Nayagan (with Saranya, invests very little time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nerd,
    It's not about the economy-ன்னு அங்கயே clarify செஞ்சிருக்கேனே. In this scene, the two hug right there. Deva is after all a local don and is not a peer to Surya in any way. It's quite like the '80s films (aNNAmalai-esque) where two young boys, the hero and his friend, patch up and join hands quickly after an initial fight.

அலைபாயுதே-லல்லாம் அருமையா வந்திருக்கும்.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For 30 odd years, this child fostered intense feelings about this abandonment, and the ill feeling and shame it has brought on him. Mani shows this. One meeting by the sun with Jai Shankar is enough to get past it. Suddenly the fact that she was a 16 year old woman at the time, is enough for him to turn it against himself. Compromised dialogues there. The accidental manja saree encounter and the immediate sequence didn't work as melodrama, did it? The impact was not there to categorize it as melodrama. I thought it was a deliberate choice to be less melodramatic. To make a hugely manipulative melodrama, Nandhalala, Sethu, Nanda, Pithamagan kind of twist of fate is necessary. Or do you mean melodrama by means of 'crying' alone? Mani shies away from NT-esque melodrama even when they almost roll around the floor and cry. NT gestural acting was missing. Although Rajini does really well within the limited framework to let the audience feel for him, he's no NT. 'neenga nallavara kettavara' kind of melodrama was missing. Even Devaaaaaaaaaaaaa didn't come off as melodramatic. Mammooka isn't quite pleased by the film and the synthetic framework of Mani. He after all was part of the greatest melodrama ever made (which incidentally has actively inspired Bala)
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    அப்படியும் டி.எஸ்.பியை இப்படி திட்டிவிட்டி வந்தால் எப்படி சிறப்பாக லாடம் கட்டுவார்கள் என்பதை ராம் கோபால் வர்மா படங்கள் தெளிவாக சொல்லிவிடும்.
    என்ன சார், இந்த லாடம் கட்டுறதெல்லாம் தளபதிலயே வருமே. "தெரியாதுடா" 'ன்னு சொல்லி ஏட்டு கிட்ட(யோ எஸ்.ஐ. கிட்டையோ) அடி வாங்குற சூர்யா வேற, "இது சூர்யா சார், உரசாதீங்க" 'ன்னு கலெக்டர் கிட்ட சொல்ற சூர்யா வேற. ஆனாலும் டீ.எஸ்.பீ.யிடமா ன்னு நீங்க கேக்கலாம், எல்லாம் ஒரு artistic license தான். இதுக்கெல்லாம் கேள்வி கேட்டா எப்படி?

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, alaipayuthe nd Mounaraagam plot is same..

The common betn. two :

1. Ego arising betn hero nd heroine after marriage..
    2. Vittu kodukkama irukkirathu..
    3. Misunderstanding