I don't think Mani Ratnam directed Idhaya Thaamarai.

The lean mean no-nonsense story teller of Mouna Raagam,Naayagan and Anjali, and the visual experimenter of Agni Natchatram has slowly become afflicted with an mid-life disease called social responsibility.

Roja was good but Bombay ! The racy love story of the first half was ruined by the naivete of the second half.Same's the case with Aayudha Ezhuththu. Dil Se was a welcome relief as the love story dominated the terrorism stuff. There are parts of Kannathhil (eg. Prakash Raj's mini-lecture) that are so academic that they nearly compensate for the Simran-Keerthana performances. Hope he's over terrorism. I'd hate to hear his next film is about a lone man finding love amid the Bosnia-Herzegovina strife.
MR is good I say, we can't afford him becoming unidimensional.

In fact , the life-lesson learning is not restricted to 'social issues' alone. MR is one of my favourite romantic writers (Mouna Raagam,Geethanjali) but the second half of Alaipaayudhey was naked in its learning-the-ropes-of-a-marriage. In removal of doubts he rounds it off with a soliloqui from Madhavan.

Iruvar was a class act. Almost up there with Naayagan. Thiruda Thiruda is very underrated. I heard that the script was Ram Gopal Verma's. Informed Hubbers confirm.Damn good film. I don't think we've had such good capers in Indian Cinema.

I bought a first day first show ticket to Aayitha Ezhuththu and was sorely disappointed (save Madhavan and Barathiraja, of course). But again that was because I went with huge expectations. Needless to say, he's among the all-time best, so AE won't discourage me. I'll be advance booking next time too !