• 1997 - 2002

11 22.45%
  • Post 2003

0 0%
Page 67 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: Films of Mani Ratnam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY

i meant, Maniratnam moves a story with visuals and minimal dialogues.......
    adhathaan naanunjoneen..effectively conveying things visually...the scenes that I have mentioned conveys a lot using the visuals...

reg objectivity, maniratnam is very clear that he is just a filmmaker and is not here to judge someone or prove anything......how tough it is to make a dual-hero subject like agni natchithram and be non-judgemental abt the characters
    Thats what I have also mentioned I guess.

Regarding how effectively mani eshtablished the brutality of Inba in 30 minutes and it took a full movie for selva to eshtablish..I think the comparison itself is sort of absurd...

further,Inba somehow looked like a guy who takes chaaya at coffee day honestly...MADDY was good..but again it was like listening to a pettai rowdy who passed his course in "pettai rowdism" at oxford with honours...

well..It may be due to image of maddy created in our minds by his movies prior to AE..
    OM NAMASIVAYA

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    FILM

Nayagan,Iruvar,Mouna ragam.

Music

Thalapathy,Uyire,Mouna Raagam...kashtam..ella padamum musically
    OM NAMASIVAYA

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivasaayi
    Regarding visual story telling - I think Bala and selva both are awesome in this aspect.
    i meant, Maniratnam moves a story with visuals and minimal dialogues........u can hardly pick a scene in maniratnams' movie, where accident takes place and there is a dialogue "accident aaiduchhu" ......obviously we have seen the accident and we dont need someone to say that again.......emotions are more powerful than dialogues is the general theme of his movies........but watever dialogues come out, they are blistering - naa adichha sethhuduva, surya sir orasadhinga etc etc

reg objectivity, maniratnam is very clear that he is just a filmmaker and is not here to judge someone or prove anything......how tough it is to make a dual-hero subject like agni natchithram and be non-judgemental abt the characters

now see, if Bala and selva can match mani in this.........to be fair, i havent seen bala, selva movies more than once.......i remember reading a stunning piece written by Equanimus in his blog where he compares how maniratnam takes only 30 mins to establish ruthlessness of inba in AE whereas Selva takes 3 hrs for that in PP(or something close to that)......reminds me of "chinna pasanga" dialogue in VV
    maddy you have clearly put it......

wonder how Ravana/Ashokavanam has shaped up......

and to add one more thing.....maniratnam movies have BGM where and when needed....it is not there through out the whole movie unnecessarily....

take examples of Mouna Ragam and Anjali....BGM follows the visual treat....mostly...
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    well..It may be due to image of maddy created in our minds by his movies prior to AE..
    well, likely so bcause a coffee day guy doesent talk abt k*su of jail inmates u see(madhavan's intro scene) .......

i have lot of reservations on PP - it was extremely slow and predictable......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    I still don't understand why was Maddy given a role of rowdy in AE. It could have been given to some other genuine good actor in villain portrayal...

couldn't digest myself seeing maddy in rough and tough role....and that too bald, he could easily done the role as Michael....it would have been great....

anyways padam flop-pu.....whats the use talking now...
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    Bollywood myth will be broken soon.
    Maniratnam is a Tamil director.
    MR hasn't forgotten his Tamil roots...so whatever movie he gives in Hindi, simultaneously there will be a movie in Tamil
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leosimha
    I still don't understand why was Maddy given a role of rowdy in AE. It could have been given to some other genuine good actor in villain portrayal...

couldn't digest myself seeing maddy in rough and tough role....and that too bald, he could easily done the role as Michael....it would have been great....

anyways padam flop-pu.....whats the use talking now...
    ajith would have been perfect in that role.
    OM NAMASIVAYA

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    nalla vela, Ajith career thappichadhu :P
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Post Thanks / Like
    nalla vela, Ajith career thappichadhu :P
    why?
    OM NAMASIVAYA

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    Maddy,
    How about a poll on Mani Sir's best film and album?
    great idea .....but i dread if thalapathi, nayagan lead Anjali, AN, Ayidha ezhuthu and Uyire in best albums poll :P

lets start with best film - Naygan, Uyire, Alaipauthey for me
    Kannathil Muthamitaal

Mouna Raagam should be there as well.. Its a normal story and I remember seeing a scene when Mohan visits Revathi... seri idhugappuram thaan padam paathutomaennu I wanted to change the channel, but couldnt . Movie is soo involving that you dont tend to leave it half handed

AE one of my favourites. for Maddy and Surya .. Surya was again ausum.. I think first ever movie without a musch. saga hubbergal will correct me if not.

PS: Nayagan the best ever for the same reasons for Mounaa. but with a huge difference in the name of "screenplay" and "Kamal"