Thread: Bhagwadgita - thinam oru shlokam

Threaded View

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I agree that demigod is a wrong designation. The correct word would be just "Deva" ( opposed to "Asura" Being of darkness and hater of the Light). But there is a specific reason Prabhupada uses certain words , demigods in this context. The westerners have always accused hindus of worshipping many gods and prabhupada was at pains to clarify the issue. So he said Krishna was God and others were demigods. It must have clarified things to westerners.

I think all of Prabhupada's works need to be re-written as many of his works bear the stamp of his times and may be mis-interpreted by today's people.

Actually no, this viw is pretty much mainstream. The Saivas also believe that the forms of all other gods are the forms of Lord Shiva. ie Brahma, Vishnu, Rudra, Mahesvar, Sadsiva are His five faces...saying the as a "form of the supreme" makes them as worshippable as the supreme..demigod, however, makes them sound as if they are living creatures who are just living on another dimension...this cannot be said for Lord Shiva, Ganesh, Durga, Karitkeya etc

The fact that a view is mainstream does not automatically make it correct. The Scriptures per se speak of Paramathman , Devas and Asuras. I don't see why these things have to be "interpreted" to mean something else , for example , an emanation (or form) of Vishnu or Shiva.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement