Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Tirupati Balaji a Jain/Buddhist temple?

Post Thanks / Like
    Among the 12 Alwars, Periyazhwar, Andal, Kulasekarazhwar, Thiruppanazhwar, Thirumazhisaiazhwar, Poigaiazhwar, Bhoothathazhwar, Peyazhwar, Nammazhwar and Thirumangaiazhwar have done mangalasasanam in Thirumala.

Poigaialwar - 10 paasurams.
    Boothathalwar - 9 Paasurams.
    Peialwar - 19 Paasurams.
    Perialwar - 7 Paasurams.
    Andal - 16 Paasurams.
    Thruppaan alwar - 2 Paasurams.
    Kulasekaralwar - 11 Paasurams.
    Thirumazhisaialwar - 14 Paasurams.
    Nammalwar - 52 Paasurams.
    Thirumangaialwar - 62 Paasurams.
    Total - 202 Paasurams.

The timing of the first three Alwars is during late 5th and early 6th centuries A.D. So was this a Murugan shrine before that? Silapathikaram makes a reference to Thirumala and is timed even earlier than 5 AD. Was it "converted" even before that then?

When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badri
    Among the 12 Alwars, Periyazhwar, Andal, Kulasekarazhwar, Thiruppanazhwar, Thirumazhisaiazhwar, Poigaiazhwar, Bhoothathazhwar, Peyazhwar, Nammazhwar and Thirumangaiazhwar have done mangalasasanam in Thirumala.

Poigaialwar - 10 paasurams.
    Boothathalwar - 9 Paasurams.
    Peialwar - 19 Paasurams.
    Perialwar - 7 Paasurams.
    Andal - 16 Paasurams.
    Thruppaan alwar - 2 Paasurams.
    Kulasekaralwar - 11 Paasurams.
    Thirumazhisaialwar - 14 Paasurams.
    Nammalwar - 52 Paasurams.
    Thirumangaialwar - 62 Paasurams.
    Total - 202 Paasurams.

The timing of the first three Alwars is during late 5th and early 6th centuries A.D. So was this a Murugan shrine before that? Silapathikaram makes a reference to Thirumala and is timed even earlier than 5 AD. Was it "converted" even before that then?

Friend Badri,

Wonderful historical timeline. Yes we need to take into account these also. But I would like to put these points also (Please note that I am not saying that this is the proof and to completely believe in it.) It is just a historic peice of information and we need to decide and research a lot before coming to a conclusion.

We have read many historics facts being distorted for their own benefits. What I heard is the same from Tirumala/Tirupathi historic facts being distorted to suit them so that nobody questions them later. In this way, the controversy will die down.

Infact, we have historics like Ramayan and Mahabharath where we get a gist of the information but not the totality of the same.

With this, I don't want to claim that Tirumala/Tirupathi Balaji indeed is a Murugan Temple. But there are some valid questions arising as to how many Balaji temples are found on the hills. People point out that only Tirumala/Tirupathi Balaji temple is the only one where Balaji resides on the HILL.

But Murugan is synonymous with HILL.
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leosimha
    But there are some valid questions arising as to how many Balaji temples are found on the hills. People point out that only Tirumala/Tirupathi Balaji temple is the only one where Balaji resides on the HILL.
    When you say Balaji, I assume you mean Vishnu/Perumal/Thirumal.

There are quite a few temples of Perumal that are situated on a hill.

Kanchipuram is one such. The lord is called Hastigirinathan or the lord of the elephant hill.

Thiruneermalai is another example.

All Narasimha shrines, including Ahobhilam and Thirukadigai (Sholingar), are atop hills

Thirumeyyam Satyagirinathan is again on the hill.

Badrikashramam (Badrinath) is on the mountains

Saligramam is on the mountains

I guess what I am saying is that examples abound of Perumal kovils being atop hills. While Murugan maybe synonymous with hills, that alone doesn't make for enough evidence.
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Badri
    I guess what I am saying is that examples abound of Perumal kovils being atop hills. While Murugan maybe synonymous with hills, that alone doesn't make for enough evidence.
    Friend Badri,

yes...these are some of the doubts which arise....but if you take the Balaji/Vishnu temples listed by you, those are related to the Avatars...

again Balaji temple at Tirumala is related to an avatar of MahaVishnu, Srinivasa Perumal....again the historians have distorted the facts which we don't know what to believe or not to believe...
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leosimha
    yes...these are some of the doubts which arise....but if you take the Balaji/Vishnu temples listed by you, those are related to the Avatars...

again Balaji temple at Tirumala is related to an avatar of MahaVishnu, Srinivasa Perumal....again the historians have distorted the facts which we don't know what to believe or not to believe...
    I am not sure if you read all the examples Badri ayya gave! Thiruneermalai is a temple to Mahavishnu. So is Thirumeyyam. And Badrinath. And Saligramam (Muktinath).

There were also other major hill-temples to Vishnu in the North. The famous Iron Pillar at Delhi, for example, was originally the Dvajasthambha for the great temple at Vishnupadagiri built by the Guptas.

Tirupathi is by no means unique as a temple to Vishnu built on a hill!
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
    Tirupathi is by no means unique as a temple to Vishnu built on a hill!
    Mr. Podalangai,

In the south(long time ago), The Father of Tamizh, Lord Subramanya a.k.a Murugan was and is the devotee for many South Indians and especially his temples were to found on HILLs only.
    Yennai Arindhaal...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    why stop there?
    some also claim that it was a Murugan temple.

riches attract attention like sugar attracts flies.
    i ve really heard this ............. romba varushamaa irukku Tirumala temple ....adula ippadi ellam eppadi claim panraanga ... is there any proof ?
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quite interesting... and some Funny too.!

Our Friends Mr NOV and Mr. Badri have posted well meaningfully.

Can Hill location give preferencial qualificaton for Muruha?

Not only several Vishnu temples.. but also Siva Temples too are situated on the Hills...

...for exampe the Sundaresa Temple at Kovoor, sung by Thyagaraja...

... the famous Kedarnath temple on the Himalayan mountains.

What a loose talk... One friend here means to say, that the Original Muruha deity along with his Vael, has been mischivously concealed ...

.. and that his Abhishekam is forbidden for worship.!!

Friends... all these can be verified by anybody in person.

Abhishekam on every Friday is open to one all the Hindu devotees, when you can see with your open eyes... No hide of Muruha nor his Vael.

On what basis... this resurrected claim for Muruha now?

There is one Theertham (Natural Water-tank) on the same hills... named KUMARA-DHARA.. from where lord Muruha worshipped Venkateswara and sang in praise of him.

That Sthothra has been published by TTD.

And Can it be justified to call Venkateswara as Muruha... based on the location on the Hill.?..

... as argued hereabove by some of our friends.

And some claim... that His Left hand appears as if holding a Vael. Perhaps might have been removed.!

Well. My dear friends... see in any Muruha Temple... Does Muruha holds his palm beneath his Knees?... Is it possible to hold a Vael at such a Low level?

And please notice at Thirumalai Venkateswara. Does it appear to be a closed fist... with just enough gap to hold a Vael?...

..whereas the whole palm is open... keeping ALL FINGERS STRAIGHT.. and four Fingers Horizontal...

Can this posture suit for holding anything on Hand?... even it be just a rod?

And taking it as granted... that the Left Hand is the Vael-holding hand...

...what about the other hand, Right palm directing downwards.?... what does it mean for Muruha?

Why there is Nagabaranam on His Hands?... Does Muruha wears such an Ornament... except Lord Siva?

And why there is a sculptural part of Lakshmi and Bhoomi-devi carved on his Chest?... Has Muruha any such significance.?

Sanku Chakras are parts of the Sculpture.. with no marks of Addendum.

Do all these speak of Muruha?

Dear Friends if and when you are puzzled or confused...

...you better consult with well-knowledged persons who are quite competent enough...

... to answer undisputably all the possible subsequent questions too convincing to Commonsense... and Wisdom.

I am writing in detail clarifying on such puzzling questions on Venkateswara... in one of the paragraphs..

...under my Tamil Serial article THAMIZH MARHAI THIRUVAAYMOZHI.. in our monthly Hub Magazine.

Those who are interested are welcome to read and comment.

Then what and who is this so called Balaji Venkateswara at Thirumalai Hills?

He is VENKATA-KRISHNA...named Govinda... presenting the same Darsana to us...

... as he showed to Arjuna as AIKYA-KRISHNA... during Geethopadesa...

... by One UNIFIED FORM comprising of all the Vedic Gods within one shape of Krishna..

..who showed SYMBOLICALLY to Arjuna... alongwith his Gospel... named Charama slokam...

...One Hand showing his holy feet... another Hand showing the Knee-depth of Life Ocean.. to mean...

..."Oh my dear Devotees,.. Don't worry (I am here to protect and save you from your Life-Ocean)...

...if you surrender to ME ONLY... leaving off all yours including your problems at my Feet..

.. I will reduce the huge depth of your Life-Ocean... just upto the Knee- depth...

...so that you need not struggle to swim anymore.for survival..

..but can easily WALK THROUGH... your Life Successfully by my Grace.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber madhu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    கண்ணனோ கந்தனோ.. அவர் நமக்கு கண்கண்ட தெய்வம். அது போதாதா ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Superbly written, sudhama.

Some say that the idol is basically that of an Amman & the large thiruman on the Lord's face is priimarily to mask this.

Also, seems there is a idol of amman in the shrine.

Many have heard that there was a dispute as to whether the idol was of Vishnu or Shiva & that it was Sri Ramanuja who resolved the dispute.

There are claims that Sri ramanuja took the form of a serpent at night, placed the sanghu & chakra & "proved" that the idol is indeed Vishnu.

Please give the correct version for the above incident also.

It is extremely hurting for an udaiyavar devotee like me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast