Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancient Hindu Temples - Lets discuss their History..

Banned Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try this: http://www.templenet.com and this: http://www.indiantemplesportal.com

Perhaps we cud post info here not found elsewhere on the net - something authentic that some of us hv heard from elders / discovered on our travels....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eelavar
    Raghu,

The temple that bingleguy is talking about is certainly the biggest hindu temple of the world..

It was built by the Tamil King, Raja Raja !

I found an interesting video about this temple, if you want download it ask me it in PM . It's a wonderful temple !! So beautiful ! A real God's house !

This video learned me a lot about Tamil's and Indians in general.
    Dear Eelavar,

This is a Sivan Kovil Right?

Thanks

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Periya kovil is an architectural wonder .It is said that the shadow of the temple never falls on the ground. But the place I like the most is Pazhani.

Pazhani is the abode of Lord Kaarthickeyan and is one among the 'aaru padai veedu" of the Lord. The nearest town to Pazhani , if I am not wrong , is Dindukal. Pazhani is not connected by the rail and one can go to Dindukal by train and then make their way to Pazhani or they can go to Tiruchi and catch a bus to Pazhani.

The temple is maintained by a trust which also provides accommodation at reasonable price.

The sanctum sanctorum is located atop a hill . One can reach the top by climbing the steps leading to the temple or by using a winch (but be prepared to risk your life ). Its really tiresome for middle aged people to climb the steps. This is the place where the "yanai adi pathai' comes to the rescue. Though the route is a bit longer the path spirals , so people generally don't tire.

Now enroute you'll come across a number of people . They call them selves "malai pandarm". Beware of these people. They'll easily cheat you . Once you reach the top you can directly enter the temple premises. Pazhani attracts people only from Tamilnadu and from the neighbouring state Kerala. So its not very crowded except on special festive days like Thaipoosam. It doesn't take much time to get a 'darshan'. You won't be pushed across , the way it is done in Tirupathi . One will get sufficient time to seek the blessings. The statue is said to be made by Bodhar , an alchemist . Legend says he mixed nine poisonous metals to give shape to the statue. It is believed that the statue has some curative power. Quakes living in and around that area have secretly scrapped metal fragments from the statue and due to that the the leg parts have become so thin. There was actually a move by the govt of Tamilnadu to replace the statue with another. But it was met with protests that they reverted back to the original. This is hear say. i don't know how far this is true. One important thing. Be prepared to get cheated once again. The priests over there have devised ingenious methods to dupe people . All in the name of religion. . I am sick of these people. The signifance of the place is well known. So i won't dwell on that.Then there is bodhar sannidhi nearby .And a small stagnant pool of water, which is considered holy, on the way up. I am not able to remember the name. I was not able to notice any architectural marvel but this is one place that I would like to visit often.I'll try to upload videos of this temple as well as other famous saivam temples in Tamilnadu later and give the links. Btw Pazhani's original name was Thiruavinankudi. More information about this temple and other temples dedicated to Lord Kaarthickeyan can be found at www.murugan.org

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raghu Anne

Thanjur koil was buit by the king raja raja cholan during 10th century I think.
    I have been to this temple thrice and its an architectural splendour ! ( however , no comparisons between Ellora rock caves )

The beauty is that Tanjore didnt have much of rocks and it seems they have brought from some other place and built it.

The tower is huge ! however, the Vimanam is structured in such a way that the shadow never falls !

You should also visit Gangai konda cholapuram ( this town was built by his son rajendra cholan )

Senior Member Regular Hubber Eelavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raghu,

Yes it's a shivan temple, there is a huge lingam in ( 12 feet high and 5 feet diameter).
    Admire God through your life.

The creator is the creation himself..

http://vedamu.org/Mathematics/vedicmathematics.asp

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eelavar
    Raghu,

Yes it's a shivan temple, there is a huge lingam in ( 12 feet high and 5 feet diameter).

Dear Eelavar,

ur avatar, is it Nalloor murugan kovil?

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.savefile.com/files/8204292

That's Pazhani temple for you.

Senior Member Regular Hubber Eelavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Raghu it's the Jaffna Nallur Murugan kovil.
    Admire God through your life.

The creator is the creation himself..

http://vedamu.org/Mathematics/vedicmathematics.asp

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Raghu dear .......

I couldnt visit the thread for long....

Soon will do my best in this thread . Probably I can cover the temples around Kumbakonam ( thanjavur belt )

Post Thanks / Like
    A few wanted to know about Periya kovil.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1202591

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast