+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 402

Thread: YUVAN SHANKAR RAJA'S NEW ALBUMS : 08-09 : 4

  1. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivasaayi
    I just used that example for explaining that "popularity" is always a "useless" parameter.its not a direct analogy.
    I disagree. When the personalities are contesting in the same field, popularity is "also" one among the parameters. If one compares a hockey player and cricket player and say that popularity is not the right parameter, its correct.. both are not contesting on level grounds.

    Oru sathathirku Isai enra patathai tharadhey adhai ketkra makkal thaan.. So incase of music.. makkal theerpey magesan theerpu ... popularity is definitely a factor
    A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.

  2. #132

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    3,022
    TV,
    I agree with Vivasaayi that there is a problem if someone always brings up the 'popularity' trump card in games of one-upmanship, irrespective of the fact that they are in the same field etc...
    I've said this before, if one says "Rahman is the best in the world because his is the music which moves me the most" or something like that its fine but not when someone has to go looking for youtube links and who-knows-whom-from-where stats etc.. that's a bit shallow IMO. I mean, of course A.R Rahman has reached where no Indian has reached in terms of fame and penetration etc but adha oru primary factor for forming opinion-a vechikitta it undermines Rahman's music of all things! IOW, its a nice thing to have, a great thing but if i were a Rahmaniac i would say "I would have placed Rahman this high even if he didn't have all these"

    Quote Originally Posted by thamizhvaanan
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivasaayi
    I just used that example for explaining that "popularity" is always a "useless" parameter.its not a direct analogy.
    I disagree. When the personalities are contesting in the same field, popularity is "also" one among the parameters. If one compares a hockey player and cricket player and say that popularity is not the right parameter, its correct.. both are not contesting on level grounds.

    Oru sathathirku Isai enra patathai tharadhey adhai ketkra makkal thaan.. So incase of music.. makkal theerpey magesan theerpu ... popularity is definitely a factor
    kuzhandhaiyin sirippil iRaivanai kANgiREn

    Why Ilaiyaraaja is GOD

  3. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    TV,
    I agree with Vivasaayi that there is a problem if someone always brings up the 'popularity' trump card in games of one-upmanship, irrespective of the fact that they are in the same field etc...
    I've said this before, if one says "Rahman is the best in the world because his is the music which moves me the most" or something like that its fine but not when someone has to go looking for youtube links and who-knows-whom-from-where stats etc.. that's a bit shallow IMO. I mean, of course A.R Rahman has reached where no Indian has reached in terms of fame and penetration etc but adha oru primary factor for forming opinion-a vechikitta it undermines Rahman's music of all things! IOW, its a nice thing to have, a great thing but if i were a Rahmaniac i would say "I would have placed Rahman this high even if he didn't have all these"
    i think TV used that point to drive home the quality of rahman;s music only......he means that lot of people acknowledge that his music is great, then whats the problem in putting him on par with IR........ofcourse ARR is not a gymnast that he attracted people with his acrobatic stuff, it is his music which has brought him all the fame.......

    there are a lot of people who have felt ARR's music moves them the most..........i feel thats a good enuf evidence to form a opinion
    ____________
    IsaiKadavul

  4. #134

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddy
    ofcourse ARR is not a gymnast that he attracted people with his acrobatic stuff, it is his music which has brought him all the fame.......
    :lol: Of course!

    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY

    i think TV used that point to drive home the quality of rahman;s music only......he means that lot of people acknowledge that his music is great, then whats the problem in putting him on par with IR........ofcourse ARR is not a gymnast that he attracted people with his acrobatic stuff, it is his music which has brought him all the fame.......

    there are a lot of people who have felt ARR's music moves them the most..........i feel thats a good enuf evidence to form a opinion
    Maybe i didn't phrase my post well enough.

    "I would have placed Rahman this high even if he didn't have all these"
    then whats the problem in putting him on par with IR
    IMO, there should be none whatsoever even if one puts him above IR. To each, his/her own. I love the music of both but place IR a notch higher but to me, if someone were to say, "Enga aalu Ilaiyaan paattu innikki kooda ethanayo gramathu veetla olikkidhu..adhaan reachu... adhaan solren IR dhaan weightu", i would have a problem with that because i dont base my rating of IR *primarily* on whether someone in a remote village trips on his songs. Of course its a great feeling to know that, but i like music because i like it - others liking it or certifying it is secondary (important too, perhaps but secondary), especially when it comes to who is the best arguments.
    IMO, music is experience and "feeling" more than anything else. 'Research ellam veliya irukku. Feeling ulla irukku'

    I think problems arise because of statements like "MDs should compose like this in diff genres/styles rather than repeating the same thing for years" from one camp and "he is just a sound-engineer/synth kid" etc from the other...

    P.S: Sorry for the dig. I rate Yuvan highly, especially in recent times but haven't listened to Silambattam, so can't comment...
    kuzhandhaiyin sirippil iRaivanai kANgiREn

    Why Ilaiyaraaja is GOD

  5. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    IMO, there should be none whatsoever even if one puts him above IR. To each, his/her own. I love the music of both but place IR a notch higher but to me, if someone were to say, "Enga aalu Ilaiyaan paattu innikki kooda ethanayo gramathu veetla olikkidhu..adhaan reachu... adhaan solren IR dhaan weightu", i would have a problem with that because i dont base my rating of IR *primarily* on whether someone in a remote village trips on his songs. Of course its a great feeling to know that, but i like music because i like it - others liking it or certifying it is secondary (important too, perhaps but secondary), especially when it comes to who is the best arguments.
    IMO, music is experience and "feeling" more than anything else. 'Research ellam veliya irukku. Feeling ulla irukku'

    I think problems arise because of statements like "MDs should compose like this in diff genres/styles rather than repeating the same thing for years" from one camp and "he is just a sound-engineer/synth kid" etc from the other...

    P.S: Sorry for the dig. I rate Yuvan highly, especially in recent times but haven't listened to Silambattam, so can't comment...
    i understood ur POV since we have discussed this in our "sabai" and ur blog as well........ :lol: ARR fans do tend to latch on to this point primarily because its a special feeling to know ur feeling is being shared by people of different cultures and ethinicities.........and more so, because he is largely "under-recognised" in TN........its also understood that primary reason for supporting ARR is personally they have been moved by his music......theres no need to state it explicitly......but i do agree it becomes irritating for others after a point of time that ARR fans keeping taking it out......but that doesent evoke a "shakeela-mohanlal" analogy/comparison.....its so DISGUSTING.....

    i totally agree on ur point of expecation and subsequent accusation on other camp.....some even wanted ARR to compose fusion according to standards....fusion-kku edhudaa standards :lol:

    reg u1, somehow his music doesent hit me as hard as IR's or ARR's...........maybe i have too much of hatred in my heart for those folks IR's music ofcourse breaks that barrier and hits me :notworthy:
    ____________
    IsaiKadavul

  6. #136
    [tscii:43070bdd2a]Yuvan completely dedicated to KPKP

    Prasanna Singh [October 24, 2008, 12:11:19 PM]

    Though Yuvanshankar Raja has decided to make a film on his own, he is completely devoted to his friend S.P.B. Charan’s film Kunguma Poovum Konjum Puravum (KPKP) at present. Yuvan is very keen on giving an excellent musical composition which will augment the appeal of KPKP’s beautiful storyline. And Yuvan, who normally composes tunes that sound so western, has lent a rustic flavour to KPKP’s songs.

    Srikanth and Praveen, the film’s editors, are also working very hard to collate the scenes in a style that is different from other films. The film’s story, based on the experiences of a bunch of youngsters in the age group 18 to 22, has given them a perfect platform to work on.

    All this sure augurs well for Tamil cinema. It looks like KPKP will go on to become an important milestone in Tamil cinema.

    From Galatta.com[/tscii:43070bdd2a]

  7. #137

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chennai48
    Posts
    159
    not related to the topic but ellarum padinga but sanda podathinga please http://raviaditya.blogspot.com/2008/...g-post_12.html

    the blogger expressing his views on music

  8. #138

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    3,901
    K,

    Can you tell me what is the necessity of posting this half baked article in *this* thread?
    Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings -- they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

  9. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDY
    reg u1, somehow his music doesent hit me as hard as IR's or ARR's...........maybe i have too much of hatred in my heart for those folks IR's music ofcourse breaks that barrier and hits me :notworthy:
    Maddy, I remember you describing "Local IR" and "International ARR" few weeks ago. (The post was deleted by Mods) Now you are saying that you like IR music. If you like IR music what is the necessity of calling him "local" :huh:
    :musicsmile: Experiencing the Naan Kadavul songs. Version 2.0

    Raaja Brahmasmi Om Om :bow:

  10. #140

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by K
    not related to the topic but ellarum padinga but sanda podathinga please http://raviaditya.blogspot.com/2008/...g-post_12.html

    the blogger expressing his views on music
    Outrageously half-baked mind vomitting in a blog, abusing the freedom that Net gives:-(

    Like LM said, what's the need to post this link in this thread?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts