+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SIVAJI SEASON - YAAR ANDHA NILAVU

RS,
    Rajshri must have claimed copyrights. One old link in youtube has been deleted.

It is a heavenly song!!. Hope somebody puts this up for us (atleast temporarily).

Meanwhile, this might be the only recourse - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/TPplayer.asp?sngs='SNGOLD0242'

:-)

We are continuing our discussions under a seperate forum with the heading Paadalgal Palavitham. Here is the link for the same

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewforum.php?f=108

Regards

Murali,

Hats off to you for your painstaking research on the song 'Yaar Antha Nilavu' . It not only provided many insights and behind the scene happenings at that point of time but also has evoked nostalgia.

It was news to me that 'Shanthi' was the last film for VR although, just like the many others, I thought authoratively that it was 'Ayirathil Oruvan'.

Just a small observation - you mentioned that MSV was totally obsessed with Cliff Richard which saw him composing this song along the former's style. As a matter of fact Cliff Richard was already popular way back as 1960 and with his band The Shadows came out with many hits like the 'Young Ones'. (I am still perplexed to find that his EMI 45 rpm discs were cut and recorded in Dum Dum, India and not in London).

When 'Shanthi' was being made in 1965 another pop group 'The Beatles' was the craze of the day then. If I remember correctly from late 1963 onwards. There were many Tamil and Hindi songs aping The Beatles beat and our MSV too had tried his hand in it. Therefore, don't you think MSV was out of sync with times to have introduced Cliff Richard's theme and style for 'Yaar Antha Nilavu'? But whatever it may be said, definitely this song is a masterpiece which never fails to enthrall listeners even today.

By the way, would it be possible for us to discuss on who had the most in composing tunes between Viswanathan and Ramamurthy? Although the credits show their names as a single entity nevertheless it appears that it is only MSV who steals the limelight always.
    Mahendra Raj

Murali,

In my haste I forgot what I wanted to also point out. If I am not mistaken this song has three verses and was cut on both sides of the shellac record (78 rpm). I note that the re-released disc carries only two verses as mentioned by you. That missing verse can't be re-collected by me however hard I am trying to. Hope you will kindly check it out . Regards
    Mahendra Raj

வணக்கம் மகேந்திர ராஜ் அவர்களே,

நீங்கள் தேடும் பாடலின் மூன்றாம் பகுதி இது தான்:

வாழ்வது போல் ஒரு பாவனை காட்டும் நெஞ்சமே
    கண் பாராதிருந்தால் நிம்மதியாவது மிஞ்சுமே
    அய்யஹோ கானலை நீர் என நினைத்தாயோ
    உன் ஏழை நெஞ்சில் உண்மை ஏதென அறிவாயோ...

யார் அந்த நிலவு.......

Thanks a lot Sivank! You know something ?Just as when I hit the submit button wanting to know about the other verse this very song began to be aired in the radio (Malaysia). I cursed myself for being too hasty because sometimes depending upon the availability of the record the song is played in full. But what a disappointment, it was the cd version which carried only two verses as what I mentioned earlier. And what a surprise as the song ended your reply came on the dot. Call it co-incidence to what Murali described about the song including the ending!
    Mahendra Raj

Glad to be service Mr.MR. I have been a fan of your writing. I have read your articles of Kaviarasu Kannadaasan. Great writing. Hope to read more interesting articles.

Regards

Mahendraraj,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, it is one of the best ever compositions of VR.

Coming to Cliff Richard, he might not have been the rage during that period but for me it looks like MSV wanted to use his favourite choice and unlike today, when you get all the music in the world at a mouse click, these were not available nor known to majority during those days and so it didn't make a difference.

As for as I know and as for as I could understand (from the interactions with MSV), it was MSV who did the more composing than TKR.

Sivan,

Glad that you changed to active mode from passive mode. (Just Kidding).

Regards

[tscii:bb43cd6593]
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas
    Mahendraraj,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, it is one of the best ever compositions of VR.

Coming to Cliff Richard, he might not have been the rage during that period but for me it looks like MSV wanted to use his favourite choice and unlike today, when you get all the music in the world at a mouse click, these were not available nor known to majority during those days and so it didn't make a difference.

As for as I know and as for as I could understand (from the interactions with MSV), it was MSV who did the more composing than TKR.

Sivan,

Glad that you changed to active mode from passive mode. (Just Kidding).

Regards
    Murali, I am just a rasigan of your writings. Ungala maadhiri jaambavaans edhudharadha oru oramaa ninnu padichuttu sandhosha padara jeevan naan. Idhulöa active mode laam kidayaadhu just oramaa ninnu kulir kaayaradhu dhaan [/tscii:bb43cd6593]

Murali,

Thanks for the clarification. And that reminds me of Kaviarasar Kannadhasan when he was in NS Krishnan's house lawn having a tippling session with NSK. NSK inquired from his gardener about the progress of the latter's son. The gardener with tears in his eyes poured out his woes ending with the sentence 'thennaiya petral illaneeru pillaiyai petral kanniru'. The words started to play in KD's mind for more than a decade and he finally managed to squeeze it in 'Enga Oor Raja' (1968) with the all-time favourite 'Yaarai Nambi Naan Poranthaen'. So, I would'nt be surprised if MSV was of equal mind wavelength by incubating Cliff Richard's style for 5 yeaqrs and hatching it in 'Yaar Antha Nilavu'.
    Mahendra Raj

+ Reply to Thread