+ Reply to Thread
Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138
Results 1,371 to 1,379 of 1379

Thread: Raga of songs

Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    Quote Originally Posted by complicateur
    Quote Originally Posted by crajkumar_be
    "Mad Mod Mood Fugue" (vakkali pinnitaanya! Fantastic rush))
    Parts (1:23 on) of Mad Mood fugue contain the viswarUbam of pani vizhum malarvanam. A little chalanAttai (maybe jOg ?)
    I've been thinking its only chala nAttai but now that you also mention jOg, i do get a little feel of 'metti oli' here
    [pardon my ignorance, my very limited raga identifying skills are based only on pattern-matching rather than any sound theory/fundamentals]

We could take this up further here with some naalum therinjavanga...
    Continuing with this...

One Mr.Velramanan (not sure if he is hubber vel) used to have a page listing the raagas of songs in Ilaiyaan's discography... That link is broken now but i have the contents as a text file.
    adhula "Peigala Nambadhe" (Mahanadhi) is listed under jOg and i thought it 'felt' like chala nAttai (the key phrase being 'kAl thUsi dOi...'). Are the two raagas related?
    kuzhandhaiyin sirippil iRaivanai kANgiREn

Why Ilaiyaraaja is GOD

crajkumar_be: The only relation that I am aware of between jOg and chalanAttai is the presence of 2 gAndhArams (Even though they do call it a rishabham while writing the notes the third rishabham is the same note as the first gAndharam).
    Could someone with a more in depth understanding elaborate or correct me if I am wrong? Would appreciate the feedback.
    "When a man's dreams include seconds on dessert, occasional cuddling and sleeping late on weekends, no one man can destroy them" - Marge Simpson.

FROM THE TREASURE TROVE OF ROS ARCHIVES - HERE I REPRODUCE SOME EXCELLENT EXPLANATIONS BY ISAI RASIGAI (IR)

START QUOTE
    ------------------------------

Let me start off with Chala Naattai: It is the 36th Melakartha raga - meaning it takes all the 7 notes - and any song composed in this raga should take all the seven notes in both the ascending and descending prayogas... If a song does not fit into this grammar, it would be considered to be based on an offshoot of this raga...

Chala Nattai scale: Sa Ri3 Ga3 Ma1 Pa Dha3 Ni3 Sa
    Sa Ni3 Dha3 Pa Ma1 Ga3 Ri3 Sa

I am not sure if there is a film song based on pure Chala Nattai... Any help here would be appreciated!

Moving on to Naattai: This is an offshoot of Chala Naattai, which means it takes some notes of Chala Nattai, as a result of which it sounds similar to Chala Nattai in some prayogams... As with most janya ragas, there are 2 views regarding the scale of this raga.

One being, Sa Ri3 Ga3 Ma1 Pa Dha3 Ni3 Sa
    Av: Sa Ni3 Pa Ma1 Ri3 Ga3 Ma1 Ri3 Sa
    and the other:
    Sa Ga3 Ma1 Pa Ni3 Sa -Sa Ni3 Pa Ma1 Ri3 Ga3 Ma1 Ri3 Sa
    "Ri3 Ga3 Ma1 Ri3 Sa" is the most important prayogam for Naattai.. This and the absence of Dha3 in the avarohanam (descending) scale should be enough to distinguish Naattai from Chala Naattai. Maha Ganapathim is a popular song in this raga.

Jog, as ram pointed out, is considered to be a Hindhusthani Equivalent of Naattai. But it takes both the Nishadhams. Numerous scales have been given for Jog. One of those would be:
    Sa Ga3 Ma1 Pa Ni3 Sa - Sa (Ni3) Ni2 Pa Ma1 Ga3 Sa Ri3 Sa.
    Jog is very similar to Thilang. They both take the 2 nishadams and their scales are similar except that Jog takes a prominent Ri3. Kavidhai Kelungal karuvil pirandhadhu raagam is a beautiful song in Jog. Manadhil Urudhi vendum(Sindhu Bhairavi) is another number in Jog although for a very long time I thought it was in Thilang :-) Listen to "Kanavu Meipada Vendum" - Ri3 is clear! Or may be is it one of those songs intended to be in Thilang with a Jog touch!!!!!!

Thilang is a beautiful straight forward ragam with a reasonably standardised scale. Nalladhor veeNai seidhen is a good number.
    Sa Ga3 Ma1 Pa Ni3 Sa - Sa Ni2 Pa Ma1 Ga3 Sa
    (Note: Thilang is also very close to Gambeera Nattai scale - Sa Ga3 Ma1 pA Ni3 Sa - Sa Ni3 Pa Ma1 Ga3 Sa. The only difference being the Ni note on the avarohanam! It is difficult to distinguish between these ragas, unless we have a clear picture of the notes! Narumugaye is a good one in Gambeera Naattai (one of the ragas besides Maand))

Hope this helps!
    -----------------------------------

END QUOTE

vel: Mikka Nandri!
    "When a man's dreams include seconds on dessert, occasional cuddling and sleeping late on weekends, no one man can destroy them" - Marge Simpson.

Thumburu: Just came to know that the raga I was talking about - Gangeyabhushani minus Pa - is actually called Hemabhushani.

It goes like S R3 G3 M1 D1 N3 S/S N3 D1 M1 G3 R3 S.

So, Karayadha Manamum undo is Hemabhushani.
    We are what we do repeatedly.Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Thanks Vel

og, as ram pointed out, is considered to be a Hindhusthani Equivalent of Naattai

Why Ilaiyaraaja is GOD

CR, Vel or compli,

The Titling in the 'How to name it' Collection have some confusions I believe. What we have listened to as 'Mad mod mood fugue' may be 'Dont compare' (Mixed feelings) as per this review written by Kalyan and CSR. .
    http://www.raaja.com/Rv-How%20to%20name%20it.pdf

The CD I have is the same as this one http://www.hummaa.com/music/album/30...how+To+Name+It
    Where 'MMMF' is same one that is being discussed by everyone here. But what we had known as 'You Cannot be free' is 'MMMF' as per Kalyan's/CSR's review :huh: :confused2: :roll: :confused2:
    kalThOnRi ManThOnra kAlaththu munThOnRiya mUththa kudi thamizhkudinna, Muthal KolaigAranum avanAthana irukkanum! Olagathula irukra ella Thappum ivanthaan muthalla Senjirukkanum - Dr.Ilaiyaraaja

Good that you've brought this up. I had this confusion for a while and kaala pokkula forgot the real mapping! The person who uploaded the tracks to cool(goose)toad had these titles mixed up i think. HTNI/NBW casette/CD la kettu romba naal aachu
    Quote Originally Posted by rajasaranam
    CR, Vel or compli,

The Titling in the 'How to name it' Collection have some confusions I believe. What we have listened to as 'Mad mod mood fugue' may be 'Dont compare' (Mixed feelings) as per this review written by Kalyan and CSR. .
    http://www.raaja.com/Rv-How%20to%20name%20it.pdf

The CD I have is the same as this one http://www.hummaa.com/music/album/30...how+To+Name+It
    Where 'MMMF' is same one that is being discussed by everyone here. But what we had known as 'You Cannot be free' is 'MMMF' as per Kalyan's/CSR's review :huh: :confused2: :roll: :confused2:

Why Ilaiyaraaja is GOD

dear rajasaranam - the names and the tracks printed on the CD covers itself dont match with the order in whicht je content is loaded as far as HTNI is concerned. May be you can get in touch with CSR who can give you the right matches for the tracks - he is a genius-yet-humble fan of IR

+ Reply to Thread