+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 138 FirstFirst ... 9 49 57 58 59 60 61 69 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Raga of songs

RR: I feel 'malargale' only starts with saarang. The rest of the song is a mixture of ragas. Expecially, the music before after pallavi and before the first stanza, i guess is in 'saraswathi' . Plz correct me if am wrong.

beckam: Kumari is based on aarabhi & saama. Guess, We have discussed enough about this song here
    We are what we do repeatedly.Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Remember, a while back, someone noted that Malayalam MD M Jayachandran, for this one film, composed songs based on raagas Kanakangi, Suddhasaveri and Punnagavaraali. Does anybody recollect what film this is? (I could say for certain that it is NOT Vaalkannadi, cause that film has one song based on Punnaagavaraali, but none based on the other two raagas.)

Vinu & RR thanks

Shyam kalyan omits Gandharam as well as the dhaivatham i think. I dont know how much of hindustani, IR has used.

RR, there is a kedar number in Karnan i think - Ennuyir thozhi kel oru seidhi, if i am not wrong

Similarly, there was a program that claimed both "manamagalae manamagale" from thevar magan and "kovil mani osai thannai" from K.P.Rail are durga...rather than sudha saveri.

:roll: Ultimately, for some songs atleast, it boils down to your call versus mine - none can really say with conviction that such and such is the raga 8) [/b]

I do listen to Carnatic songs .. But cannot match them with fim songs.
    Can the regulars here tell me the raga of foll. songs,

1. Thoongatha vizhigal rendu - Agni natchthram
    2. Andhi mazhai pozhigiradu - Raja paarvai
    Humming that comes in Andhi mazhai pozhigiradu
    3. Neerodum vaigaiyile.. (Some sivaji film)
    4. Chinna thaayaval...(thalapathy)

The realization of happiness happens only after experience of pain.

If we desire to blossom like a flower in the garden of life,
    Then we must learn the art of adjusting our life with the thorns!

I think Thoongatha vizhigal is based on amruthavarshini and Andhi mazhai on Vasantha.
    I do not know the raga of neerodum vaigayile but, it is from the movie "paar magale paar"

I'm not sure that "Neerodum Maigaiyile" can really be mapped to this raaga or that. Let's just say that it is based on a minor scale. As for "Chinna Thaayaval Thantha," I'm going to say Kapi Mishra Charukesi.

hi, can anyone shed some light abt this rare raga called saranga tharangini. IR has used this raga excellently in guru ramana geetham for the song sri maatru bootheswari (bombay s. jayshri). What melakartha raga is it derived from ? How abt it's arohana and avarohana...Do you have any carnatic song based on this raga. It sounds very new, I've heard abt sudhatarangini used by Dikshitar in his composition, Maye tvam yahi. Thanks 8)
    As fire Burns, water ripples,air stirs,earth trembles, and space immobilized....
    M.U.S.I.C......Has been the only refuge for the Human soul to be Pampered.

SARANGA THARANGINI

Aarohana: s r2 m2 p d2 n3 S
    Avarohana: S n3 d2 p m2 r2 s

Could be a janya of either Mela 59, Dharmavathi or 65, Kalyani. As you can see, this raaga is completely Gaandhara varjaya. Graha bedham on Sarangatharangini yields raagas Sriranjani and Karnataka Khamas. I do not know of any Carnatic krithis in this raaga.

Regards,
    Nitya

Quote Originally Posted by Nitya
    SARANGA THARANGINI

Aarohana: s r2 m2 p d2 n3 S
    Avarohana: S n3 d2 p m2 r2 s

Could be a janya of either Mela 59, Dharmavathi or 65, Kalyani. As you can see, this raaga is completely Gaandhara varjaya. Graha bedham on Sarangatharangini yields raagas Sriranjani and Karnataka Khamas. I do not know of any Carnatic krithis in this raaga.

Regards,
    Nitya
    thanks for the enlightment nitya...if u hear the song Sri maathrubooteshwari the raga "Saranga tharangini yields extreme bhava of dharmavathi rather than kalyani..so it's apropriate to classify this raga under he banner of dharmavathi....
    Here are some characteristics of raga dharmavathi:
    • 1. N3, R2 and M2 are it's chaya swaras
      2. Daatu swara prayogam and pratyahata gamaka sancharas lend beauty to this raaga
      3. Ni is rendered as a dirgha swara with gamaka....

regards
    rajj
    As fire Burns, water ripples,air stirs,earth trembles, and space immobilized....
    M.U.S.I.C......Has been the only refuge for the Human soul to be Pampered.

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me whether 'saravana bhava guha vadivazhaga' from Kadhala Kadhala is based on raga Desh?
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread