+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 138 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Raga of songs

Raga of songs

Post queries or discuss about ragas of tamil film songs:

The Keyboard & Swara notation used in this thread:

"Raga based film songs" Database | <a href=http://tfmpage.com/forum/classical.html>Old Database</a> | Indian Classical Music Forum | Hindi Raaga of Songs Thread
    Last edited by RRvb; 01-06-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: fixed links

Old responses

Sai (@ 61.6*) on: Tue Oct 19 15:32:03 EDT 2004

Indrajith , dont get tensed . . .i was personally emailed by a carnatic expert here in M`sia that that song belonged to hamsanadham . . by the way , is rosapoo chinna rosapoo Natabairavi? Please confirm this ONLY . . .if not natabairavi , then what?

haris (@ 148.*) on: Tue Oct 19 16:32:48 EDT 2004

Indrajith-

You are right. They are different. I have mentioned that. // But bhavam and feelwise, they are a world apart.//

Dont you agree that, as for aarohanam/avarohanam - they vary by only one swaram?

srini (@ 203.*) on: Tue Oct 19 18:40:32 EDT 2004

Indrajith, en tension agureenga? I just heard that song once and so cud nt find if its Hamsanadham or hamsadwani. Also, am not an expert in raagas I identify raagas only by listening to songs and i dont use any scientific methods.But I do know that Hamsadwani and Hnaadam are radically different.

Pradeep (@ 202.*) on: Wed Oct 20 02:18:39 EDT 2004

even nadham and dhwani (of Hamsa!)almost are quite similar in their meanings :->

Karthik Raja I think is quite a fan of this raga..even for the Hindi films that he has composed he has used Hamsanadam wonderfully.The fims are "Grahan","december 16" etc...

Do we have a equivalent in Hindustani for Hamsanadam? and I have read that D2 is also used in Hamsanadam by a lot of carnatic musicians..maybe as a gamaka from N3..??

Indrajith (@ 203.*) on: Wed Oct 20 06:22:25 EDT 2004

Hamsanadham is known as Malarani in Hindusthani.
    srini ,
    Tension illa sami... mandai kayudhu..
    How can one possibly compare Hamsanadham and Hamsadwani. And an explanation also which says only one swara differs. For example lets take

Melakartha 15: Mayamalava gowla :
    S R1 G3 M1 P D1 N3 S S N3 D1 P M1 G3 R1 S
    Melakartha 51: Kamavardhini ( Panthuvarali):
    S R1 G3 M2 P D1 N3 S S N3 D1 P M2 G3 R1 S

Only one swara ( MA) differs.
    Can I say both are very near and comparable.
    It looks funny.

Indrajith (@ 203.*) on: Wed Oct 20 06:38:28 EDT 2004

An appeal to all,
    Please dont get stuck with the swaras of ragas.
    And compare ragas based on the swaras.
    Though many of you agree that Raga has swaroopa and all , we people stick to discuss things only based on swaras.

We can go ahead singing say shankarabharanam without Madhyamam and still Make it complete shankarabharanam than Kalyani.
    The difference is not just in Ma but the way you sing.

And I have seen people telling that because Note X comes in the song in such and such place it is not Raga A but it is Raga B. It sounds very ridiculous.

If a song goes using swaras sa ri ga ma dha sa and goes for 90 % of the song's prayogas are like that and suddenly in one or 2 places it sprays Ni
    Will you call that song as Abohi or Sri ranjani.
    Though it is trying to use Ni , for me it is still Abohi.

Please try to understand and try avoiding discussions based on swaras.

I think the major problem with this forum is that some of the people who are posting are instrument players. And they tend to tilt towards swaras always. Here I am very specific about people who play Keyboards, Amature flutists, who are not well off with usage of gamakas.

mythila (@ 193.*) on: Wed Oct 20 10:52:05 EDT 2004

Indrajith, I second your opinion. Also it is absolute futility in trying to map every single song to some raga . Example is asking raga for songs like "elangaathu vesudhe" or "onna vida" or "good bye nanba". Even the mds don't think of any ragam in most of the cases and even they would be flabbergasted if u say this song belongs to kathyayini or some fancy name

vijay (@ 68.1*) on: Wed Oct 20 11:38:02 EDT 2004

Indrajith, good advice, especially for a couple of people here who have the habit of mapping all IR songs(most of them dont have any characteristic gamakas/raga prayogas) to some unknown ragas with loong names(based on just notes) which even IR wouldnt be aware of.
    Over-reliance on keyboards doesnt help.

+ Reply to Thread